Recent publications

Monday, January 1, 2018

Issue 24: Artist Interview of マギー Mui Mui

FEATURE BLOG: Singapore Artist

Real name: Maggie 
Nick/Artist name: マギー / Mui Mui 

What’s your background? 
I'm a typical 9-5 OL who is also a self-taught artist. I have no arts qualification unless you count my O-Level art in which I scored only C6 😌 

I create comics online, "Mui's Diary" & "Hello Mui!". Apart from comics, I also enjoy drawing, calligraphy and watercoloring. I started my online business "MUI X STUDIO", selling self-designed stickers and merchandises too! 
When did you start and what makes you started? 
I started to get in touch with art when I was as young as 4 years old.. mainly inspired by my dad. That was when I knew how much I love to draw.
I got more serious only about 2 years back in 2015, when I just graduated from polytechnic with a non-art related diploma. I had no idea what I would like to do after my graduation so I worked part-time and stayed at home most of the time. One day, when I was slacking at home as usual, I happened to come across "LINE WEBTOON", a website/app that offer free digital comics. They welcome creators to self-publish comics with them under "Discover" column, and if you're lucky enough, you might even get chosen to work with them officially. That sounds great especially during the time I had no idea what I would like to do! So that was when I started to make my webtoon, "Mui's Diary". I think that is fate. Because I never knew I would still continue to publish, considering myself as someone who give up halfway easily.. I recently came up with another one called "Hello, Mui" too! Also because I started making comics, I venture out to make messaging apps stickers (LINE stickers) and also invested in MUI X STUDIO, selling real stickers and merchandises. 
 
Where does your Inspiration comes from? 
My inspiration actually comes from my another hobby which is... blogging... HAHAHAHAH. I used to (still occasionally) share about food, recipes, beauty and life on my personal blog. So I thought maybe I could do blogging in a comic form. That's how "Mui's Diary" came about! My another inspiration is from Takagi Naoko, a comic artist. I discovered her when I was 14 in the library because I love going to the comic section..*laughs*. 
 



What is the most challenging part about being an Artist? 
The most challenging part for me is time. As I hold a full time job, I can only make my comics and arts only after work, during my free time. It's kind of tiring because sometimes I just want to lie on my bed and do nothing after I got home from work. I really need a lot of motivation to get myself started. Sometimes I get really tired and unmotivated because it seems like no matter how much I tried, there is no result. It feels like I am not getting there yet, no progression. I think that's part of being a non full-time artist. 


What is your best achievement? 
Right now, I am still a snail trying to climb up the tree.. *laughs* I think I'm not even halfway there yet. But I would like to think that my best achievement at this moment is that I've made my baby steps to achieve my dreams. For that, I would like to give myself a pat on the back *pat, pat* ahahahah. Another achievement is the "sense of achievement" I get whenever I receive comments/messages from readers. That makes me really happy! 😃

Follow Artist on Facebook Page, click here.
- - -

SUPPORT ARTIST & SPREAD THE INSPIRATIONS, FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM & FACEBOOK


@ARTFULLYSG


DO YOU KNOW ASPIRING SG ARTIST TOO? REFER TO US!












No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome collaborations!